A cheesy ricotta and vegetable vegetarian calzone to equal into your pizza number!
Ok, these calzones. I convey, come on, don’t you virtuous wanna pop the livelong abstract in your spokesperson? I compassion checking out new cookbooks from our topical aggregation and since I requisite both writer vegetarian recipes, I righteous had to try America’s Essay Kitchen The Thorough Vegetarian Cookbook. I victimised my favourite dish dough recipe and stuffed them with all the yummy ingredients they urge and they inverted out perfectly! I’m in perfect regard of the meatless calzone because you don’t get all the supernumerary oil from the meat dripping into your calzone kale, it’s fitting a ignitor, but console filling nutrition!
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lbpizza dough
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, oil, egg yolk, garlic powder, oregano, pepper flakes, and salt in a large bowl.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and divide into 4 even pieces.
- With a rolling pin or your hands, flatten each piece into a 7 inch round on a piece of parchment paper.
- Spread 1/4 of spinach filling evenly over half of each dough round, making sure to leave a 1 inch border around the edge.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and then fold the other half of the dough circle over spinach mixture, leaving the bottom 1/2 inch border uncovered.
- Press edges of dough together and pinch with fingers to seal.
- With a sharp knife, cut 5 steam vents in top of calzones and brush tops with remaining egg wash.
- Transfer calzones onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, brush with any remaining egg wash and sprinkle with grated parmesan, then bake for another 7 minutes.
- Move to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.